Summer Dungeons

Summer Dungeons started out as an ambisious summer project, but after one week it was already way to big. The main focus had to be procedural content generation, since I was dying to try to implement PCG techniques in a game. I ended up trying to generate dungeons with all their content and items with a Diablo-like stats.
This game is not finished and I doubt it will pretty soon. Still there is some amazing content which I'm quite font of.

  • Project: Summer Dungeons
  • My Role: solo project
  • Development Time: July 2016 - Ongoing
  • Current Status: ongoing
  • Tools Used: Unity3D Engine, Visual Studio
  • Language: C#

Coming together

My item system worked amazing, but it was made for different player classes, had all these different stats and required different types of combat. But I only had a dungeon and items. I started implementing three player classes: hunter, warrior and mage. Each class has its own special weapon and has a stat thats better than others. I implemented a character creation and selection menu, save options and the different stats. The combat is all very basic for now: there is only one enemy, a silly spider, and all classes have the same combat. Future plans include skills, more monsters, leveling and class based combat.


Items

When I figured a 3D dungeon was a bit much for me and my skills, I allocated all my time to a huge item system. It is completely based on the item system from Diablo 3, with names and stats and different items and all of that. It was amazing to make a system that was able to generate so much items. I ended up with 62 different items, 125 affixes (words that can be added to the name of the item that determine extra stats) and 4 qualities. The quality and level of a generated item and the item itself determine how its stats look and how strong it is. I have no clue how much different items this system can generate, but it is quite a lot.


Dungeons

My goal was to generate a dungeon. But it was quite harder than I expected. I ended up using a pretty simple algorithm used in the Unity RogueLike tutorial. It was a major challange to generate a 3D dungeon, so I figured that it would be easier to start of with an algorithm I already implemented in 2D.
I'm planning on using another algorithm, since this algorithm doens't allow design elements to be tweaked and it's performance is pretty bad.